Tuesday, December 4, 2012

What I feed my four year old

I get this question more times than I can tell you. As soon as people find out about food allergies I start to get questions about what food I can and can not feed my child. The list is confusing and often shocking to some people. I also get people that contact me all the time that have recently found out about their own child's allergies and completely taken unaware have contacted me to find out what on earth they can feed their child. so  once again I have provided a food list. it was time for an update! Please keep in mind that every child is different so some things that work for my daughter may not meet your child's needs.

Malorie is still currently allergic to  Wheat, Eggs, Soy and peanuts


Breakfast foods

cereal -
Chex - is a great brand! they are not only allergy free but gluten free as well and they come in yummy flavors everyone can enjoy
Captain crunch -is also wheat and egg free! mostly corn but
Lucky charms is made of oat flour! my daughters favorite cereal!
kix- yummy and wheat free
Oatmeal - you can find a gluten free oatmeal keep a look out. many instant oatmeal have soy so make sure to read the label
cream of rice- not her favorite as it is very bland but you can add just about anything to it...its a good choice for babies!
fruit of all kind is a good breakfast choice.
bacon and ham is also a good source of protein if you are the morning meat eating type
Rice crispies now offers a gluten free variety!! perfect for making rice crispy treats too!
cook up some ham chunks and veggies for a morning eggles scramble!

for a milk allergy try cereal with Almond vanilla milk! its our favorite. be sure you are testing for tree nuts first of course!

Pancakes and waffles - I love to use the store brand Betty Crocker gluten free Bisquick. it works pretty good and is quick. you have to mess with the texture a bit and add water to make it a better consistency but all in all its really yummy. It does call for eggs but I find 1/4 cup of apple sauce or 1/2 banana works great! I however do not love the price.. :(

Yogurt is a huge hit with my daughter! for milk allergies I know Soy yogurt is a good option.

When eating out-
we recently took a long vacation for the first time and were confronted with having the challenge of eating out three times a day. most all fast food is completely out of the question as Malorie is very contamination sensitive so Denny's it was. I found that when eating out it was easier for breakfast. I could order her things off menu and combine them into a meal.  for instance yogurt with fruit and perhaps oatmeal. it was not exciting but it was easier than i had thought.  remember that if it is on the menu anywhere you can most likely get it separate. tell your waitress your situation and hopefully they are more than happy to help you find things for your child. all else fails I always bring a bit of food with me so she will at least have something to eat!


Snack foods -
all fruit snacks
cut up fruit
Lays potato chips is soy and wheat free
Shoe string potato fries are also soy free
Pirate booty is Malorie's favorite and is mostly corn.. no wheat
veggie straws or sticks
ants on a log... our version is celery with creamy almond butter and raisins

Tips about almond butter.... I love almond butter and so does Malorie! however finding a almond butter that is not contaminated with peanuts was a huge deal! believe me I searched and searched.. I ended up an hour away from my home at a whole foods store but found a perfect one!  I ended up with Barney butter Almond butter...sooo good and they make a smooth version that is to die for!



Lunch Foods-

a normal lunch for my daughter is usually finger foods

Cut up hot dogs
turkey roll ups..deli turkey with rolled up cheese
dinner left overs
chips
grapes
oranges
soup...the only over the counter soup I can find that Malorie will eat is a creamy tomato from a company called pacific natural foods. it is organic and gluten free! also it comes in a carton. and for a good price and that makes this momma happy!
string cheese
Almond butter and Grape jelly on a rice cake is our version on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich
home made bread pizza!

Tips about bread....Because Malorie is also allergic to eggs bread is very hard to come by. The bread that we do make or buy is usually very dry and gross to eat as a sandwich. but to toast it and to make pizza with it turns out great! the kind of bread i usually buy for her is a rice/ almond flour blend. it is dense and bland and does not do well out of the fridge.

Eating out....I found luch to be much harder when eating out. The best option for lunch for us is subway. I can order her a kids menu sandwich with no bread her choice of meat and cheese and i have them throw some olives tomatoes and pickles in with it. they look at you a bit strange when going to a sandwich store and ordering something without bread but if you tell them why sometimes I have gotten her food for free...? Because of contamination of wheat Malorie cannot eat at restaurants that fry their french fries in oil with other wheat products, like nuggets. so most fast food places are out because of cross contamination. In n out however is the only place that only fry's their fries alone with nothing else and in cottonseed oil not soy! For health reasons and because the contamination is so high we just don't eat fast food anymore at all. And we are all better off because of it!
Red robin restaurant offers a child menu and has a chicken on a stick option, it comes with your choice of fruit and veggies as well.

Dinner foods

When it comes to making dinner I keep it simple. No processed foods as the contamination is so high. I stick with basic ingredient and basic recipes.
chicken with rice and veggies
rice noodle spaghetti and meatballs
flax breaded fish
yams and flank steak
the list is really endless when you cook at home. whole foods are the very best for all of us the less you mess with it the better it is for you. as close to raw as possible is the very best for our body. check out recipes on line or stay tuned to my blog as I will be posting some recipes soon!

Tip about spices- be careful with seasons and spices because many of them contain soy and even wheat. all pre made gravy mixes are going to use wheat flour as a thickener. read your labels on everything you put into you dinner. salad dressings are also something you should be on the look out for.

Eating out- I found buffet to be a great option for my daughter! they have tons of veggies on the salad bar and even fruits, she felt like she got a lot of food and had tons to choose from.


over all keep it simple. You will find yourself cooking more and eating healthier foods with your allergy kid but that is for the better for your whole family. the more you stick to whole foods the easier it is going to be. 

message me if you have any questions! keep a look out for more food ideas!






















No comments:

Post a Comment